Thursday, September 1, 2011

Butterfly

We brought a couple caterpillars inside this year.  The first one to make its cocoon made it on the bottom of the jar.  I wasn't sure it would make it.  I used some super glue, cardboard, and a small clothespin that is technically for scrapbooking to hang the cocoon.  One side of the cocoon was flattened.  Happily, early last week the cocoon turned black.  Ohlen was sure that meant it had died, but I assured him that it just meant that the butterfly would emerge soon.  Luckily I was near the jar when the butterfly came out and was able to call the boys in.  We waited a while before we attempted to "hold" it.  We put it outside, and the next day it was still hanging around.  Ohlen found it a few times and walked around with it on his finger.  Such a great learning experience for them too.  We have another cocoon that will hopefully be ready soon.  I'm hoping to get some pictures as it is coming out. 






0 comments:

Post a Comment