Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Chocolate Pudding Ice Cream

I experimented tonight, and it turned out so good I had to come share it.

I've made several different frozen goodies since I got my ice cream attachment for my mixer, but I've never tried to make chocolate.  Most of the recipes I had seen called for more work than I was willing to do without advance planning.  Or they called for an overnight chill.  Actually I would like to see what this recipe would do with an overnight chill, but I was in too big of a hurry tonight.



Chocolate Pudding Ice Cream

3c milk (I used 2% - would be fun to experiment with whipping cream, but this way was cheaper and on hand.)
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c instant chocolate pudding mix
1/2 c cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla

Whisk all ingredient vigorously until well combined.  This took a little bit longer than I thought and seemed like it would never combine, but it did.  Place in refrigerator until ready to use.  I think mine was in there for about 30 minutes.  Follow instructions for your ice cream maker.




We think it turned out great.  Still waiting on Jonathan's verdict - he is gone for the night, so it will be a surprise for him when he gets home.  He has been wanting me to try to make some chocolate, so it will be fun to see if he likes it.

To me it tastes a lot like fudge bar, but it has the consistency of a frosty.  This is where I wonder if a longer chill would make it thicker - or maybe I was a little impatient stopping the mixer... :)  There was a thicker consistency on the edges of the bowl, it was more like harder ice cream, but really, we don't care much about the consistency - although it did thaw fairly fast.

And it would probably taste amazing with some add ins - maybe some nuts, marshmallow creme....  craisins??  Love all the possibilities.

(Oh, and we definitely have some spring fever around here.  We even grilled out side for our supper, it was like a preview of summer.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment