Sunday, February 7, 2010

Easy Cinnamon Rolls

Go to store. Buy can of Cinnamon Rolls. Open. Pull apart... I kid I kid.
Not knocking the can ones - I've made plenty batches of those.

I wanted a nice warm treat for us after we came in from the snow yesterday, so I found this recipe and whipped them up. I thought they turned out great.

Cinnamon Rolls (Recipe adapted from a recipe found on Allrecipes.com)

2 1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast (1 pkg)
3/4 C warm water
1/4 C white sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 egg, room temperature
2 1/2 C bread flour

1/4 C butter, softened
1 Tbs Ground Cinnamon
1/2 C Brown Sugar

Dissolve yeast in warm water - let sit about 10 minutes. Combine sugar, salt, egg, and 1 c flour with the yeast mixture. Stir in the remaining flour 1/2 c at a time. Mixing well each addition. Put dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Cover with damp cloth and let rest 10 minutes. (I realize now that I did not do this step... and mine turned out fine.)
Roll out dough into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread the butter over the dough, sprinkle the cinnamon and brown sugar over the butter. Starting from one of the longer sides, roll.
Slice the roll into equal pieces - about 16.


Grease a pan, 8x8 square, 8 or 9 in circle, a larger pan you just won't fill all the way. Don't really think it matters all that much. Place rolls in pan cut side up. Cover and let rise for about 45 minutes. Mine sat longer. You can also cover the pan and put in the refrigerator over night. Preheat oven to 400. Bake until golden brown - 15-20 minutes.




The recipe I had didn't have an icing recipe included, so I whipped up one up using Shortening, Milk, Powdered Sugar, and Vanilla.

I love this frosting! I wish I could tell you exact measurements, but I really didn't keep close track... but here is what I think I used.

1/4 C shortening
1/4 C Milk
1 1/2 C powdered sugar (least sure about this one)
1 tsp vanilla

Beat together the shortening, milk, and powdered sugar. Add in vanilla. Add more of any of the ingredients to achieve desired consistency and/or taste.

1 comment: