Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Weekend Visit


Sometimes I am completely torn between my Love of living in rural Ohio and my unquenchable thirst for travel.  I love all kinds of travel, via planes, trains, or automobile.  Just exploring a new place.  Taking pictures of it all.  But at the end of the trip, I'm always ready to come back home to the slow pace of the country.  The wide open space that is our yard, the familiar places we frequent.

This past weekend a friend and I drove to Lancaster, PA to visit my best friend.  On Saturday we rode an Amtrak train into Philadelphia.  It was my first experience riding a train somewhere, and I enjoyed it.  So nice not having to worry about where to park or having to deal with the stress of driving in a city.

We took the subway to the historical part of town and walked from there.  We spent the day walking to several historic sites and then venturing downtown for a bit.  We met up with my best friend's cousin who lives in Phily. We had cheese steak for lunch. (So good)  We walked around carrying coffees.  We hung out in a Barnes and Noble when we started to get sore feet.  Then we made our way back to the train station, and back to Lancaster.  Then Sunday we drove the 6 hours back home.

I loved visiting. I loved getting a glimpse of what life might have been had we moved to Ireland, in the sense of living in a city.  (We most likely would have been in Dublin.)  But as we were driving home it hit me how much I really do love home.  I love living in the slow paced country.  But I'd go visit the city again in a heart beat.  Always torn. :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment