Thursday, July 23, 2009

Strombirdie and Bluebirdie Cobbler

First and foremost, a couple of posts ago I mentioned that I was toying with the idea of making a second blog for recipes. What I have realized in the past weeks is that I really am not going to keep up 2 blogs when I can barely keep up one. Soo, I am just going to post recipes here.

Last night we had company and I made Stromboli and Blueberry cobbler for dessert. Ohlen, for whatever reason, can't quite get the -oli or the -erry out, so they are both ended with -irdie. Cracks us up.

So, on with the Recipes and pictures.

Stromboli

First off you need some pizza crust dough. If I have time, I make mine in the bread machine. The recipe says it's making 4 12-inch crusts, but I like mine thicker, so for me it's actually 2 crusts (and two stromboli)

1 1/3 c Water
1/4 c Olive Oil
2 tsp Salt
4 c Bread Flour (I use Thesco Flour)
2 1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast OR 2 tsp Bread Machine Yeast
Parsley, Basil, Oregano, and Garlic Powder (amounts up to you, I just sprinkle how ever much I'm feeling for the day)
Use Dough Cycle



If you don't have a bread machine or are pressed for time you can use the prepackaged mixes and add the seasonings to it. Or use this recipe for a quick dough. I don't think it is near as good, but it is a whole lot quicker.

Simple Pizza Crust (This will make One Stromboli)

3 c flour
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast (1 pkg)
1 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs Oil
1 c warm water
Oregano, Parsley, Basil, and Garlic Powder to taste

Combine Dry ingredients. Mix in oil and water.




After you have your dough, separate in two (if you are using the bread machine recipe) Grease a cookie sheet.





Stretch dough so it is a little longer than the sheet and a bit wider than you want the finished product. Put desired toppings on the dough. Last night I made one with Pepperoni and Mozzarella cheese. The other had American cheese, Mozzarella cheese, Ham, Pepperoni, Green Pepper, Red Pepper, and Onion.



Fold the sides up over top of the fillings and press dough together. Leave some small holes on the top for venting, or if you'd rather, you could close it all up and then cut in slats with a knife. If making immediately place in a 375 oven for about 35 minutes. If you aren't baking it right away, wrap each individual stromboli with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator. If they aren't covered, the dough dries out, and dried out dough is not happy dough.

I serve mine with some room temperature sauce.



All that was left.






**Bread Machine recipe (minus the seasonings) is from the manual I got with my Bread Machine which is a Welbilt. (and it is well built, it's been making bread since we were married in 2002.)**


Blueberry Cobbler


1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c sugar
1 stick margarine (softened)
1/2 c flour
1 pint blueberries (or other fruit, fresh or frozen)
1/2 c sugar



In greased medium casserole dish beat up egg, vanilla, sugar, and margarine. Add flour. While making above, boil fruit and sugar. Batter should line casserole, pour fruit into the middle.
Bake 35 minutes at 375. Serve hot or cold, good with milk or whipped cream.




**Recipe from Jonathan's great Aunt Erma Ewert, although her recipe featured frozen sour cherries rather than blueberries.**

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Particularly like the look of the cobbler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delish! Love all the photo step-by-steps :0) Also - I think there is a market out there for Bluebirdie Cobbler - it's a catchy name!

    ReplyDelete