Thursday, September 24, 2009

What to Do When You Want Some Tacos

but don't have any tortilla shells, and don't want to drive to Taco Bell (or any other restaurant.)


Make your own! I have always wanted to try to make my own tortillas, but I always thought it would be too involved and not really cost effective. But Monday night I really wanted to make some chicken tacos for supper, and didn't want to run to the store to buy any. So I looked online and found a simple recipe, and they turned out great!!

INGREDIENTS

* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 2 tablespoons lard (I used shortening)
* 1 1/2 cups water

DIRECTIONS


1. Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the lard with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.






2. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side. Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.

Recipe retrieved here, on Allrecipes.com.

You do have to be careful not to burn the flour and tortillas, because they really don't taste good if they are burnt. I really like this recipe and will use it again. I actually halved the recipe and just made 12, I've been using the extras for my lunch time turkey wraps. So far they are keeping really nice in the fridge. And really I think they only cost pennies to make, so really you don't save all that much money, but it was alot of fun to make them myself. :)

Sauerkraut update: I do tend to forget to go scrape the scum, but there doesn't seem to be that much yet. I hope it is all fermenting nicely, it appears to be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment