Friday, February 11, 2011

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins with Lemon Frosting

So I needed something to snack on here at the house.  I really need to get to the store - so my only option was a cookie - or to make something.  I wanted something a little better for me than a cookie chock full of peanut butter, sugars, and chocolate - so I went searching.  I found a recipe for some Muffins that were made with oatmeal and applesauce, they seem like they would be a better option.  (Although I never really did any real research into the matter.)  And I also had some lemons yet that still appeared to be good.  So I thought some lemon frosting would go well with them...  (And thus completely blowing away the healthfulness of the whole thing... oh well...)  I think they turned out really well.  The 3 year old I babysit did not care for the muffin by itself.  Ohlen didn't care to try.  But Noah loves them.

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins - recipe adapted from a submission at allrecipes.com.
     The original recipe calls for cinnamon, I left it out due to the fact that cinnamon is causing me heartburn these days.  It also included a topping, but I left that off as I was planning to use the frosting.


  • 1 1/2 cups instant oatmeal
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400.  Grease muffin tins, if using them.  (I used the silicon baking cups.)  Whisk together oatmeal, flour, powder, and soda.  
Whisk brown sugar, egg white, applesauce, and milk together until smooth.  Mix in flour mixture until evenly moistened.  Pour into muffin cups.
Bake about 20 minutes.








Lemon Frosting

1/2 c butter
2 large scoops with a large spoon shortening (very scientific, I know)
Juice from 1 lemon
Powdered sugar to consistency and taste (I really have no idea how much I used... I just kept adding until it tasted right)

Beat all together until it gets nice and fluffy and tasty.

I ended up cutting them in half and frosting the middle, and keeping the frosting in the fridge so I can use it as I go.

    





1 comment:

  1. I made some of these muffins the other day and they were soooo good! I made a double batch & didn't even get around to frosting them! The applesauce makes them so moist & yummy! Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete