Monday, March 14, 2011

Bratwurst and Potatoes

One of our favorite meals lately has been a meal of Bratwurst and Potatoes.  Which actually seems a little odd, seeing as we haven't grilled them outside yet this year.

We all enjoy bratwurst - and not the prepackaged, precooked kind.  We like to get them from our local meat sellers. (Well, ok, we still like the prepackaged ones too - but like the others better.)  Usually I'm a little cautious when grilling these because I think it is always a trick to get the middle of the brat cooked through while not completely burning the outside.

I found a good tip on an episode of Kitchen Boss on TLC.  I don't watch it much - actually I think that is the only episode I've seen.  All the recipes can be found online.  The recipe I'll give you here actually is for an Italian sausage sandwich, but I use it for the brats.

Here is the recipe.

The tip I have used is to boil the brats first.  I boil them for about 10 minutes before grilling them.  It works really well, I think, and the end result is great.  The middles are cooked through - and you won't have to worry about burning the outside.

For our meals I also grill some onions and red peppers.  If I have some mushrooms I'll add those for myself too.

For the potatoes, I've been making some baked french fries.  I cut up some red skin potatoes into thin strips (french fry shape). I put oil on a pan, put the potatoes on the pan, sprinkle them with salt, pepper, a little garlic powder. Then I spray them all with an olive oil cooking spray and bake at 400 until they are soft.

Simple, easy, and enjoyable. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment