Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Finished Project

First off, third trimester is finally here!  Only about 11 1/2 weeks to go.  (Yikes)  And, actually, if she decides to be like big brother Noah - she would be here in about 8 1/2 weeks...  That's only 2 months.  I'm still feeling pretty good.  Heart burn is horrible and nasty.  Getting off the floor is not easy.  I've limited my shoe choices to those that do not include bending over to put on.  :)  Other than that - it's been great.  My energy level is still pretty high most days.  I can get around fairly well.  Sleep, when not interrupted by heart burn (yes, that is the WORST way to wake up) has been really good.  I'm enjoying seeing and feeling all her movements.  I think she is head down - at least that would be my guess, but we'll see what the Dr says.  I have an appointment next week - and then I think I will be on to the every two week appointments.  OH - ha - I guess I did forget the one little snag in this whole process.  I did fail my one hour glucose screening test (Again! - I did with Noah too) so I have to go in Saturday for a 3 hour test to see if I have gestational diabetes.  I passed the 3 hour with Noah, so I'm hoping for the same results.  We shall see.  And according to the, let's compare your growing baby to a food guide, baby is as big as an eggplant.

Now on to the crafty side of things. I finally finished one of my "secret" projects.  A baby quilt for my sweet nephew, who will be 2 months old tomorrow.  I started it before he was born, shortly after they showed off their nursery.  I don't have many pictures for it, and I don't have a finished picture. Lame I know....  This is a result of putting the final stitch in the binding a few hours before taking it to give them while they were in town visiting paired with my horribly addled pregnancy brain forgetting to get my camera out and take a picture of it.

I found the pattern at the Moda Bake Shop.  However, instead of using a precut pack, I bought yardage.  So there is a bit less variety in the fabrics.  The middle row I had accidentally got things turned around and had put the sides and tops/bottoms on the wrong place.  So the middle squares would have been off, if I had lined up the borders correctly, and lining up the middle squares correctly would have made the borders opposite of the rest of the quilt.  So I decided to try to have the middle squares correct, and just let the border be off....  I didn't think it would make a difference... boy did it ever.  It was pretty horrible.  The corners were so far off...  So it was off for some seam ripping time.  What quilt/ blanket of mine would be complete without a little seam ripping time loss....   So I got that taken care of.



Then I realized that I really wanted to add a border?/strip? (my quilting vocabulary is not very extensive) between the pieced together squares and the border.  I didn't really think much about how wide to make it, except to what I thought would look nice.  Well......  I realized after I added the white border that had I done a little math, I could have made it so that I just could have added an extra square or two to the border, when in reality, I was going to have smaller rectangles on the ends now.... because I didn't think that far ahead.  But I didn't think it really mattered all that much, and it really didn't.  I think it looks ok still. Then I realized that it went further than that.  Adding the white border also meant that my backing was no longer big enough.  D'oh. But that was a simple fix with a row of squares on the back.  I was actually glad for this mistake because I really like having it on the back like that.



So that was all the glitches I dealt with...  Other than that, it was a fairly easy quilt to piece.  As for the quilting, I hand quilted it.  It really didn't take all that long.  I just quilted in the ditches (I think (and hope) that's what it is called.)  Basically around all the piecing - except for in the border.  For the binding I didn't have enough of one fabric, so I just alternated the dark orange fabric and the blue branch fabric. I have been promised to be sent pictures of it - since it is now currently about 2 hours North of me - and soon will be heading its way to TX.  As soon as I get those pictures I'll post them as well.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Nicole! Love the quilt. I don't know how you do it all!

    I also had to do the 3 hour glucose test when I was pregnant w/ Raine. I was so relieved to find out that I did not have gestational diabetes. I hope you don't have it either! It's kind scary when you fail the first one! I'll be praying!

    Can't wait to meet your new little girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love the quilt! my quilt math is often a little fuzzy too - often by the time i get it all figured out, I am too tired to actually get to piecing, and then when I am ready to sew, I have forgotten what i figured out :)

    Can't wait to see the finished product [both the quilt and the eggplant err... baby :)

    ReplyDelete