Thursday, May 19, 2011

Belated Birthday Post

I just realized I didn't post about 2 recent birthdays in our family.  I had all intentions to, but for whatever reason didn't. I blame the heartburn.  No reason, just feel like blaming everything on it right now.  It is starting to defeat the current medication I'm taking for it.

Jonathan's birthday was last month.  He turned the ripe old age of 29. :)  Ohlen insisted we make a cake.  And that it be a Star Wars cake - because Daddy would LOVE a Star Wars cake. Jonathan also loves pizelles, so I made some of those too.  Regular anise flavored, and some chocolate ones.





Jonathan loves dark chocolate, so my aim was to try and make a very chocolately cake and icing.  I made my go to chocolate cake recipe, but halved it.  I used a dark cocoa.  I didn't want to make a regular big cake, seeing as it would be just for our immediate family.  I made the cake in my widest loaf pan, then cut it in half and made a very small two layer cake.






I really didn't want to make any more icing in different colors like I usually do to decorate.  So I found some pictures and fonts online, and made a stencil of sorts.  Then I sprinkled powdered sugar over top.  It did ok.  I should have had a finer powder for the more intricate details, and by the next day the powdered sugar was all dissolved in the frosting so it didn't look as good. But it worked for the little bit that it needed to. :)




Then at the beginning of the month we celebrated Noah's 2nd birthday.  We had a small gathering here for that.  I did a round layer cake for Noah.  I used my go to yellow cake recipe.  Noah is really loving strawberries right now, so I mixed some strawberry jam with the frosting for the middle, and garnished the bottom of the cake with quartered strawberries.  I decorated the top with Thomas, also a current favorite.
As you can see, I had a helper with both cakes.  He was so excited about helping, and keeping the cakes a surprise.  He had a great time celebrating the birthdays.








I can't believe my little boy is 2 already.  Not to mention his big brother will be 5 in a few short months.  And they will have a sister in a month or less.  My goodness.  Time is slipping through our fingers.
Noah's two year pictures.  (A few of them anyways.)  I might try again when the sun isn't in his eyes.  It was overcast most of the day, until right then.  And I'm just noticing how shadowed his face is. Oh well, I still like them. :)  He was in a great mood to be photographed that day.







House stuff is still trucking right along.  The timing is going to be interesting to say the least.  I don't think it matters when this little girl decides to come.  It is going to be interesting regardless.

4 comments:

  1. those pics are adorable!! Go Noah! praying for you amidst the chaos and craziness that I am sure life right now for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love birthdays! Oh, and dark chocolate. Happy Birthday to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little guys are soooo cute Nicole! And your Thomas cake is awesome!! Very realistic.... and I've watched enough Thomas the Train episodes to know! haha. :) Can't wait to hear news of the arrival of your little girl!!

    ReplyDelete