Monday, June 27, 2011

Make Your Own Kind of ... Laundry

So, for the past, I don't know... 6 months, I've been making my own laundry detergent.

Why??  Because it is SO cheap.  I'm constantly annoyed by how much necessities can cost.  Like garbage bags.  Sure I can get cheap ones - but they are cheap.  And those don't do so well in the diaper pail...  But ANYWAYS... this isn't a rant about garbage bags...  Yes, cost.  And really that was my main reason.

I started out making a liquid detergent.  I gleaned the recipe at WigLife.  It is very easy to make.  I tweaked it a little bit.  I made it a little more concentrated.  It worked pretty well.  It really didn't last as long for us as it did for her on the blog.  But, it still saved lots of money.  It probably cost about $3 for a whole batch - which was the equivalent of several normal containers of detergent that would cost about $10 a piece.  So lots of money saving.



The clothes get clean, but they don't come out with that Tide fresh smell.  You can add essential oils to the detergent to make it all nice smelling, but because of allergies and whatnot, it is actually better for us to have non strong smelling clothes.

Today I made my first batch of powder detergent.  It is even easier than the liquid.  The recipe I made makes about 4 cups.  The recipe says to use 2 Tbsp for each load - so it should last about 32 loads.  The powder detergent recipe is Here at Tipnut.com.  That site actually has quite a few different laundry detergent recipes.


Both recipes call for Borax, Washing Soda, and a bar of soap.  Easy peasy.

Let me know if you decide to make some, and how it turns out. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment